Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A Preschool Problem



Juju got his first homework assignment for Preschool today. I know I'm no grammar expert, and I'm sure as you're reading this you will find several errors if you are, but I was a bit disturbed when I began looking over the teacher's instructions for the assignment and found myself rereading it several times. It was full of grammatical errors and my brain just wasn't getting it!

I certainly wouldn't want to embarass this teacher; we like her very much, and I would never voice my opinion (or concern) to Juju, but one has to wonder. Was her "Grammar Check" just off? Was she in a hurry? Did she use another person's letter and just not proof-read it? Or has she just spent too much time speaking to 3 & 4 year olds?

Let me be clear- a few mistakes are alright, and even "human," but this was bad!

I don't know. Maybe I'm being overly critical, but see for yourself and comment if you feel so inclined. I've copied the letter below, word for word, comma for comma (or lack of comma, as the case may be), and perhaps you will understand:

"Dear Parents,
I am allowing the children to develop their own classroom rule book, but they will need your help in doing this.
I have explain to them I would like them to help me make a book of rules for the classroom so everybody can be safe and have more fun. I have given each child a piece of paper and ask each child to think of a rule that he or she thinks is important. Next I have also ask him or her to draw a picture of it. This is where you come in, please help them write sentences about the rules as your child dictate it. This is a homework project for both you and your child to do together. Please return it back on Wednesday or sooner if possible. I look forward to seeing what the both of you have come up with.
HAPPY RULEING TOGETHER......

Sincerely,
Your teacher..."

So? Is it me or is there a problem here? I don't know a whole lot about this woman, but when we met her she was well-spoken and seemed experienced, so I'm just assuming this was a fluke. Still, she's teaching my son. Now I'm not yanking him out of school or anything, but I would like to see a little more pride and professionalism in the teacher's work. Can I get an "Amen?"

1 comment:

  1. She seems to have an issue conjugating the verbs. This looks like a letter written by someone who's first language is definitely not English. I can definitely relate to concerns with our little one's teachers this year! Hannah's teacher is grammatically correct in writing, but has a heinous New Englander accent... which Hannah is picking up. You can't teach a kid it's and Annnge.. when it's and Or-ange!

    ReplyDelete