Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Love the Sting


Don't you love the very feeling of being alive? I have found that thrill this week in a few unusual places; ones that are generally points of complaint for some people, as my Facebook Newsfeed will attest, but at the risk of sounding completely off my rocker, I thought I'd share this and maybe challenge you to check your perspective, too. 
This week, I dove figuratively face first back into my typical health and fitness routine. It was back to a better controlled regimen of food consumption and intense, sweaty exercise after a vacation of choices that *mostly* reflected my lifestyle changes with a few not-so-much that left me feeling sluggish. It pains me to even admit it, but I am still learning on my journey to better health awareness after all. This trip only reminded me of why I have made the changes that I have, and reinforced my feelings of not "missing out" when I choose not to indulge in foods my body no longer craves, like fast food and donuts. So, I'm back home with lessons learned and ready to practice them... off to the gym I went, well fueled and ready to kick it into high gear.
Two days and three intense workouts later, I awoke this morning with every muscle in my body tingling with that delicious, post-awesome-workout soreness. And YES, I find it delicious! I wouldn't dare have you think I'm complaining... it is one of the best feelings in the world to me and far outweighs the pains I had while being overweight. With every gentle stretch to loosen up the tightness comes a twinge of soreness, and with it a sharp reminder that I am alive and that my body is capable of amazing things.
Don't like my example of working out? Well, I've got another one for you! How about the bitter cold winter that has rolled in with the icy daggers we like to call wind? Can you find the the joy of life in it? Go take a walk outside. Meander around the neighborhood or take a stroll in the park. It will most certainly leave you chilled to the bones, but love it or hate it, does that cold not leave you feeling so alive? Even if you find it miserable, the sting on your exposed face and the numbness in your fingers and toes- the very craving of warmth is proof of life, is it not?
Ok, so maybe I've gotten a little carried away, but my point is this... I refuse to take one bit, one second, no matter how mundane or painful, for granted, and I hope you don't either. Life is too short to do anything but appreciate the fact that you're living it, so find the joy and live it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment