Saturday, January 16, 2016

Fancy the Orchid



She was hidden behind giant leaves of green in the back corner of the department; a shelf of discounts that had lost their bloom. I caught sight of her, my favorite flora, and saw beyond the sunburnt leaves and lack of flower. Though certainly not in need of another of her kind, I scooped her up instantly, examined her, and placed her in my cart.

My husband playfully rolled his eyes at me when I brought her home and painstakingly debated which spot she would fill. I know he doesn't get it, nor do my children, who giggle and tease me. "How many do you have now, Mom?" But I can laugh with them. It is joy she and the others bring, even in the wisecracks.

Mere weeks after her rescue (because I am quite dramatic after all), with tender care & filtered light, this healthy girl is recovering beautifully with new growth- leaves, roots, & even an elusive stem. Her leaves still bear the scars of neglect, but soon no one will be able to see past her blossoms. And when those have bloomed & faded, she will still have a home to thrive and flower again in her time.

No comments:

Post a Comment