Monday, January 18, 2016

Dear Dr. King, I Stand With You




How great the courage to fight hate, frustration, and pain with love, patience, and light! 

As the sun rose setting the frosty morning ablaze with color more than warmth, I contemplated the comments and quotes posted in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr, and I was reminded of a journal entry of my own reflection from June 2015...

"As a child, a teen, and even as a young adult, I spent so much of my time seeking love and searching for evidence of others love for me in their actions and; their words. I offered my heart freely, maybe even too much, but I realized there seemed to be error in my offering. My focus always came back to how or how much I was loved in return rather than how I was loving others. It always left me broken-hearted and the relationship worse for the wear. While I certainly believe it, like all things requires a balance of both, because loving yourself is important, too, if not paramount, I do my best to love differently now. I strive to love people for who they are, where they are, and in the ways that I am capable, with no conditions and no expectations of reciprocation."

I can only hope that my actions reflect daily this very expression in every relationship- with family, friend, or, stranger- for I believe this world would do well to remember that respect and love can be, and should be given no matter the differences that exist between us in religion, political view, lifestyle, culture, or any other station. I stand in honor of Dr. King today and everyday to say that I, too, am sticking with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment